Saturday, April 25, 2009

Excuse me, miss, are these your children?

True story...

A couple months ago I was in the grocery store with Stephen and Jeremy. I just happened to be dressed totally awesome that day -- definitely not my usual. Long slimming t-shirt, low-cut denim flare pants, my 2-inch heel black ankle boots, and I think I had some makeup on that day.

While I pushed the boys through the produce dept, a woman approached me. "Excuse me...are these both your children?" I was slightly puzzled at her emphasis on both, but said yes. "Oh my gosh! How did you get your waist so thin again? I only have one (pointing to a nearby teenager) and I never got my waist back."

Wow, I really must look good! I thought to myself. I didn't mention the fact that I had two other children at home that very minute. "Well, I try to go to the gym 2-3 times a week," I started. The lady is literally hanging on my words, waiting for the magic spell. I continue, "and I work really hard at it."

"Oh" she said, sounding EXTREMELY disappointed. After another brief pleasantry, she left me standing in the aisle, quite stunned. "Oh? What does she mean, OH??" I thought? I've worked hard for months to wear these clothes modestly, you know, so I don't offend someone with "skin-tight" clothes, days on end with sore muscles as I get used to lifting weights and prancing on an elliptical, dragging the kids to the gym during the few precious hours the daycare is actually open, and all she can say is OH?!?

2 comments:

  1. if you should ever see her again you can tell her that your sister is still a fat slob after children and that you're just a freak of nature.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:52 PM

    Way to go, Jean!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete