Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Eulogy For The Boombox

NPR made this great story about the boombox. You can check it out at their website (below.)

Man, those were the days! I remember sitting in elementary school, taking a BIG piece of construction paper, and making it look like a boombox -- the big round speakers, the tape deck in the middle, the buttons, nobs, radio tuner. I even cut a slit along the top so you had a handle to carry it with. Just a flat piece of paper, but my classmates loved them, and always asked me to make one for them. It was quite a status symbol in our part of DC back then.

It's so funny. I really DO NOT consider myself an inner city, urban type of gal, but I sure do relate to this story. I was immersed in this culture growing up, and at the same time I was isolated from it in my own little bubble. That's an entire story in itself, a story I still don't know all of yet.

"A Eulogy For The Boombox"
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103363836

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:51 PM

    Please tell me about your bubble sometime!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete