Sunday, March 22, 2009

And speaking of creating...

I swear, as of 2 generations ago all of my family were farmers! Where did the talent go???

My garden seeds were total duds. I watered them faithfully for 3 WEEKS! And nothing. 30 seed cups, organic potting soil, good sun and shade too, and NOTHING! My friend Marguerite said it was because I kept the cups outside, and the temp has been going up and down, not freezing, but I guess too unstable for starting seeds. (Now you tell me!)

SO...I started all over yesterday. I emptied the cups into the compost pile, refilled them with new dirt and new seeds, and now they are INSIDE my house, sitting pretty in the kitchen window. I also put the cups in a plastic tray and keep everything nice and moist (I'm copying this idea from my neighbor's 10 yr old daughter who recently got some seeds started. She's got a sweet little setup going in their greenhouse. Nyah!! Me, jealous? No, I'm not jealous! Why on earth would you think that?!?!?)

Now I just have to keep the cats away from the cups for the next few weeks. I didn't bother planting the flower seeds again, just the veggies. If I'm actually CAPABLE of starting seeds, then I'll do the flowers later this spring.

I still have tilling the garden on my calendar for this coming Saturday. Let's see if I can get it done.

1 comment:

  1. Does that mean you want our tiller this Saturday? Did you guys get the sod in already or do you still need the tiller for that? Yes, you need to start the seeds indoors -- it says so on the packets. If you have questions, I can answer plenty, but I'm no expert. At least you know somebody that tries to garden (as most people at church don't these days).

    ReplyDelete